The Lamar University in the Texas State is a member of the Texas State University System. Its campus is spread over 270 acres in Bux Mont city. It is located 90 km away from Houston. It is 25 miles west to the Louisiana. The Lamar University located in the Bux Mont city was first started in 1923 as the South Park Junior College with student strength of 125 in the first Fall semester. The Lamar university has been named in honour of Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas and the “Father of Education” in Texas, in 1932. In the early 1940s, it shifted to the present location from the South Park School District. In 1951, it became the State College of Technology offering four year courses with the government support. In the history of Texas, it was the first ever junior college to become the college of technology. It became a research university by implementing the first ever doctoral programme in 1970s. In 1971, it was renamed the University of Lamar. In the 1970s, the university had set up its campuses in the Port Arthur and Orange. Subsequently, these institutions grew up as exclusive institutions. In 1980s, the university was a member of the Lamar University system. In 1995, the Lamar University became a member of the Texas State University.