University of West Georgia was founded in 1906 as Agricultural and Mechanical school. In 1933, it was upgraded to that of a junior college. Its name has been changed to West Georgia College. With the approval of Board of Reagents of University System of Georgia, the college transformed into a facility that offers four-year degree course in Bachelor of Sciences in 1957. In 1996, the college name has been changed to College of State University of West Georgia. In 2005, the institution changed its name to that of the University of West Georgia. The first honours programme in the institution was started in 1975. The first-ever honours college in Georgia state was established under the jurisdiction of the university in 1999. The university granted its first PhD degree in 2012.The university which has membership in the University System of Georgia has 645-acre campus. The Princeton Review recognized the institution, headquartered in Carrolton, as one of the best south eastern colleges. At least 12,000 students graduate from the university, which has full-time faculty members of 1100. Under the jurisdiction of the university, there are several colleges have been offering 29 master’s degrees and four doctoral degrees.